Jerry Wedekind's Camping Checklist Categories
An item is classed by asking "what does it do for me?"
Items are classed according to their main function. Auxiliary items
(e.g. dedicated repair kits, dedicated containers) are classed along
with their main item.
Reusable mobile exposure protection. Two categories:
- General [e.g. coat, sunglasses, not sunscreen]
- Harsh weather
- Fixed exposure protection [e.g. tent, tarp, pillow, bivy sack, space blanket].
- [e.g. food, water, vitamins]
- Health, hygiene, & grooming [e.g. towelettes, sunscreen, self-defense].
- Food-related tools and supplies.
- Empty or multipurpose containers [e.g. pack, empty stuff sacks, water bottles].
- Items used in or on the car.
- Things which help you move [e.g. crampons, snowshoes].
- Location aids [e.g. whistle, map, compass, watch, headlamp].
- Multipurpose tools [e.g. army knife, sewing kit, notepad].
- Items which ease reentry into civilization [e.g. wallet, keys, items on pre-departure checklist].
Things for fun; many categories.
- General [e.g. books]
Another set of Checklist Categories
- First Aid/Second Aid
- Other Survival Equipment
- Cold Weather
Copyright © 2003 Gerald Wedekind. All rights reserved.