Home -> Personal -> Castles -> Trim
Trim, Co. Trim, Eire.
The site was first fortified by Hugh de Lacy in 1173, who built a wooden motte-and-bailey structure on the site. After this was burned in 1174, de Lacy started building a stone keep and walls, which were finished in 1224. Later in the century, Geoffrey de Geneville, Hugh's grandson, improved the structure.
The castle was taken by Silken Thomas in 1536. During the Civil War, the castle changed hands twice: Catholic Confederates took it in 1647, and Cromwellian forces took it in 1649 (when it was slighted).
For an interpretation of Trim in Lego, see Robert Carney's page.
Copyright © 1992, 1996, 1998, 2002 Leif Bennett. All rights reserved.