Why I Love LA
- You ever driven on ice?
- Shoveling snow loses its novelty real fast.
- I DID grow up here. Billy Joel notwithstanding, NOT all Angelenos come from somewhere (else).
- Earthquakes don't scare me. In 22 years I only experienced one good-sized
one (Sylmar, 1971). Other areas of the country routinely put up with
tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, blizzards, etc. Most of those are much worse
(and much more frequent!) than
earthquakes in terms of damage and loss of life!
- Low humidity. If you've never lived on the east coast, you've rarely
if ever experienced real humidity. Ok, 100 degrees is hot anywhere. But the
misery of a 90-100 degree day with 90-100 percent humidity has to be
experienced to be believed. Like stepping out of a hot, steamy shower, only
to step into . . . a hot, steamy shower.
- Which brings to mind a Bob Dylan lyric:
And you ask me why I'm not livin' there,
Honey, how come you don't move !
- I, on the other hand, like Randy Newman.
- West coast beaches rule. At least compared to east coast beaches. And Minnesota beaches (:-})
- Smog doesn't scare me. Other places have worse things, they're just not as well publicized. And it really is getting better.
- I bleed Dodger blue.
- See's Candies. Can't get it on the east coast.
- Marie Callendar's. See previous.
- Ocean sunsets (as opposed to ocean sunrises).
- I, on the other hand, like palm trees.
- "Don't you miss the change of seasons and the leaves changing color?" No, I don't. Remember I didn't grow up with them.
- I like freeways. They simply don't know how to do them in the east. Most of them go around major cities, not through. Which is fine if you
want to avoid the cities. But if you actually want to go into them, good luck! And they don't know how to do onramps or offramps.
- And believe it or not, on the whole LA drivers are better drivers than east coast people. More courteous and skillful. I've never seen anyone here back up on the freeway to get to an offramp they missed. I saw that all the time in Maryland. Sheesh!
- From the South Bay
To the Valley
From the West Side
To the East Side
'Cause the sun is shining all the time
Looks like another perfect day
[Sing along with Randy and me, now!]
I LOVE LA!
(We love it!)
Back to Doug's Home Page