Tricia Waniewski Sur
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering: defended October 1998, California Institute of Technology.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering: June 1994, California Institute of Technology.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering with honors and with
distinction: May 1993, Pennsylvania State University.
- Research scientist: August 2000 to present, Science Applications International Corporation, San Diego CA.
- Research and development in the areas of microfluidics/heat transfer and bow spray.
- Member technical staff: March 1999 to July 2000, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA.
- Coinvestigator for the "MEMS pumped liquid cooling system for highly integrated micro-nano sciencecraft" task funded through NASA's Cross Enterprise Technology Development Program. Numerical modeling and experimental work with microchannel flows.
- Thermal software development for Integrated Modeling of Optical Systems (IMOS).
- Thermal battery testing for the Mars 2003 and 2005 Sample Return Mission rover vehicles.
- Consultant: Winter/Spring 1997, Walt Disney Imagineering Research and Development, Glendale CA.
- Image processing and data analysis.
- Consultant: December 1996, Miller Beer, Monrovia CA.
- Calibration of waste water flume.
- Engineering intern: Summer 1992, Mobil Chemical Company, Fairport NY.
- Machine design and development.
- Engineering intern: Summer 1991, Mobil Chemical Company, Fairport NY.
- Drafing and machine design.
- Journal publications
- Waniewski, T.A., Hunter, C., and Brennen, C.E. "Bubble Measurements Downstream of Hydraulic Jumps." Int. J. Multiphase Flow, May 2001, pp. 1271-1284.
- Waniewski, T.A., Brennen, C.E., and F. Raichlen. (2001) "Measurements of Air Entrainment by Bow Waves." J. Fluids Eng., vol. 123, pp. 57-63.
- Waniewsk, T.A., Brennen, C.E., and F. Raichlen. (2002) "Bow Wave Dynamics."
J. Ship Research, vol. 46, pp. 1-15.
- Waniewski, T.A. "Air Entrainment by Bow Waves." Ph.D. thesis. California
Institute of Technology, October 1998.
- Waniewski, T.A. "Dynamic Behaviour Analysis of Tilting Disc Valves in the Penn State Ventricular Assist Device." University Scholars program thesis. Pennsylvania State University, May 1993.
- Publications in refereed conference proceedings
- Birur, G.C., Sur, T.W., Paris, A.D., Shakkottai, P., Green, A.A., and Haapanen, S.I. "Micro/nano spacecraft thermal control using a MEMS-based pumped liquid cooling system." Presented at SPIE Micromachining and Microfabrication, October 21-24 2001.
- Hendrickson, K., Sur, T.W., Shen, L., Dommermuth, D., and Yue, D.K.P. "Simulation of Steep Breaking Waves and Spray Sheets around a Ship: The Last Frontier in Computational Ship Hydrodynamics." Presented at DoD HPCMP Users Group Conference, June 18-21 2001.
- Birur, G., Sur, T.W. "MEMS Based Pumped Liquid Cooling Systems for Micro/Nano Spacecraft Thermal Control". Presented at NanoSpace 2001, March 13-16 2001.
- Birur, G.C., Johnson, K.R., Novak, K.S., and T. Waniewski Sur. "Thermal Control of Mars Rover Using Loop Heat Pipe and Phase Change Material Thermal Storage Technologies." Presented at the 30th International Conference on Environmental Systems, Toulouse, France, July 10-13, 2000.
- Waniewski, T.A. and C.E. Brennen. "The Evolution of Cavitation Events with Speed and Scale of the Flow." Proc. of the 3rd ASME/JSME FED summer meeting (cavitation forum), July 1999.
- Waniewski, T.A., Brennen, C.E., and F. Raichlen. "A Void Fraction Meter for Use Beneath a Stationary Breaking Wave." Proc. ASME Fluids Engineering Division Meeting Symposium on Aeration Technology, June 1998.
- Waniewski, T.A., Brennen, C.E., and F. Raichlen. "Experimental Simulation of a Bow Wave." Proc. ASME Fluids Engineering Division Meeting Symposium on Aeration Technology, June 1997.
- Gardner, J.F., Waniewski, T.A., and Geselowitz, D.B. "A Newton-Euler Model of Prosthetic Heart Valve Dynamics." Proc. ASME International Mechanical Congress and Exposition, Bioengineering Division Symposium on Cardiovascular Fluid Mechanics, November 1995.
- Technical brief
- Needels, L., Briggs, H.C., Eldred, D., Glaser, R., Kissil, A., Levine, M., Melody, J., Milman, M., Norton, R., Papalexandris, M., Scharton, T., Sirlin, S., Sur, T.W., Tsoi, W., and W. Tsuha. "Updated Multidisciplinary Optical-System-Analysis Software." NASA Tech Briefs, NPO-20849, March 2001.
- Lecturer: Spring 2000. Instructed ME20, the undergraduate heat transfer course in the mechanical engineering department at the California Institute of Technology.
- Head teaching assistant: 1994/95, 1995/96, 1996/97, and 1997/98 undergraduate courses in fluid mechanics. Prepared solutions and graded homework sets, conducted review sessions, supervised
laboratory experiments, and guest lectured.
- Research supervisor: June 1994-December 1997. Guided five undergraduate students working on independent research projects.
- Teaching coursework: Completed teaching assistant training and attended ``Culture and Learning Styles in the Classroom'' workshop, California Institute of Technology.
Computer and Software Related Skills
- Programming: C, LabVIEW, HTML, FORTRAN, and BASIC. Familiar with HPF.
- Software: MATLAB, Mathematica, LaTeX, and other
UNIX and DOS/Windows based software.
- Computer Administration: Administrator for research group
computer network consisting of SUN and IBM PC compatible computers
running UNIX (Solaris and Linux) and DOS.
- JPL NOVA award for commitment to excellence, June 2000.
- NASA Software Release Award for contributions to IMOS v5.0, March 2000.
- Richard Bruce Chapman Memorial Award for distinguished research in hydrodynamics, 1999.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Graduate Teaching Fellow:
1995/96, 1996/97, and 1997/98 academic years.
- Caltech $10K Business Plan Competition, Winner: 1998.
- NSF Fellowship Competition, Honorable Mention: 1993.
- Excellence in Undergraduate Research Award: 1993.
- Penn State Academic Excellence Scholarship: 1989-1993.
- Mobil Chemical Company Scholarship: 1991-1992.
Honor and Professional Societies
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Lion's Paw Senior Leadership Honor Society: 1992.
- Skull and Bones Senior Leadership Honor Society: 1992.
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society: 1992.
- Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society: 1991.
- Pi Tau Sigma National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society: 1990.
- President, Society of Professional Students, California
Institute of Techonlogy.
- Member, Graduate Student Council Board of Directors, California Institute of Techonlogy.
- Flutist, Chamber Music Program, California Institute of Technology.
- Member, Women in Science and Engineering Program, California
Institute of Technology.
- Art co-editor, Technique: 1994-5 and 1995-6 editions, Graduate
Student and Postdoctoral Scholar Guide, California Institute of
- President, 1992/93 Undergraduate Student Government Academic
Assembly, Pennsylvania State University.
- Invited talk
- Sur, T.W. "Microfluidics". Spring 2001 Fluid Mechanics Seminar Series, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, University of California San Diego.
- Waniewski, T.A., Brennen, C.E., and F. Raichlen. "Air Entrainment in
an Experimental Simulation of a Bow Wave". Presented at ONR Bubbly
Flow Workshop, February 1998.
- Waniewski, T.A., Brennen, C.E., and F. Raichlen. "Experimental
Simulation of a Bow Wave". Presented at ONR Bubbly Flow Workshop,
- Waniewski, T.A., Brennen, C.E., and F. Raichlen. "Breaking Wave
Bubble Observations". Presented at ONR Bubbly Flow Workshop, February
- Née Tricia Ann Waniewski in Rochester, NY.
- U.S. citizen.
- Married, one daughter.
Available upon request.
Return to Tricia Sur's Home Page
Last updated: 7 August 2001